Great Decisions Program 2018
Click on Great Decisions Program 2018 to register now, or read the description below for more information.
Let’s talk about critical global issues facing America:
Great Decisions is America’s largest discussion program on world affairs. The program involves reading the Great Decisions Briefing Book, watching the DVD and meeting in a Discussion Group to discuss the most critical global issues facing America today. Each year the program provides background information and policy options for eight topics chosen by a panel of experts. This year it tackles critical issues from nuclear security to trade to the future of Europe.
This year’s topics are as follows:
• The waning of Pax Americana?
• Russia’s foreign policy
• China and America: the new geopolitical equation
• Media and foreign policy
• Turkey: a partner in crisis
• U.S. global engagement and the military
• South Africa’s fragile democracy
• Global health: progress and challenges
The Great Decisions program has been developed by the nonpartisan Foreign Policy Association located in New York, which was founded in 1918 and its branches were the forerunners of the independent World Affairs Councils of the 1950s. It serves as a catalyst for developing awareness, understanding, and informed opinion on U.S. foreign policy and global issues. Through its balanced, nonpartisan programs and publications, the FPA encourages citizens to participate in the foreign policy process. In 1954, the Great Decisions program was launched in Oregon and has since spread all over the country and beyond. It has now become the largest nonpartisan public education program on international affairs in the world.
Following the past tradition, the World Affairs Council of Central Illinois (WACCI) will hold the 2018 Great Decisions Program during the months of March and April. Here are the particulars about the program:
1. Location : Lincoln Public Library, Carnegie Room South/North, 326 S. 7th Street, Springfield, IL 62701 (library phone: 217-753-4900; for library direction and parking information visit: http://www.lincolnlibrary.info/aboutus/HoursAndInformation.html#location
Parking in the underground garage of the Library is free after 5 p.m. Monday through Friday and all day on Saturday and Sunday. There are several on-street, metered parking spaces surrounding the library.)
2. Dates: Tuesdays during March 20 – April 24, 2018, with one exception, the week of April 9, which will be on Monday, April 9. The specific dates are : March 20, 27, April 3, 9, 17, and 24.
3. Time: 6:00 – 8:00 PM.
4. Classroom Learning Materials: 2018 Great Decisions briefing book provided to all registered participants.
5. Discussion Leaders: Dr. Stephen Schwark, Emeritus Professor, UIS; Dr. Adriana Crocker, Professor of Political Science, UIS; Dr. Frank Kopecky, Emeritus Professor, UIS; Dr. Roy Wehrle, Emeritus Professor of Economics and Environmental Studies, UIS; and Dr. Baker Siddiquee.
6. Program Registration and Fee: Registration to the program is limited to 25 and the Registration fee is $25 per person (by check only) for the six weeks program which covers the charge for the 2018 Great Decisions briefing book (priced at $30.00 plus shipping, if purchased separately from FPA). Registration will begin on February 19 on a first-come-first serve basis and granted upon receipt of the completed registration form and the $25 registration fee to The World Affairs Council of Central Illinois. Please click on Great Decisions Program 2018 to register. Individuals unable to attend the full six-week program may request to attend a particular program, which may be granted on a case-by-case basis.
For further information, interested individuals are requested to contact program organizer Prof. Baker Siddiquee at email@example.com or by phone at 227-793-0040.